How can parents prepare their child for the year?
- Practice wearing a mask for short spurts during the day.
- Take a trip to the school playground. It is open to the public and can help students' gain a sense of familiarity.
- Start practicing the morning and bedtime routines. Doctors recommend that children ages 3 to 6 need about 10-12 hours of sleep each day. And 7- to 12-year-olds do best with 10 or 11 hours.
- Encourage your child to take deep breaths before a big task or after a challenging moment.
- Read a picture book about going back to school.
- Practice expressing emotions using words such as overwhelmed, frustrated, confused, or jealous. Communicating feelings clearly can better help resolve problems.
- Create "anchors" or events that your child can look forward to each week.